[tn-bird] Re: Shelby Farms Fish Ponds

  • From: Robert <rwf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:39:53 -0500

Virginia Reynolds wrote:

> This afternoon 38 Black Terns (down from the 50+ seen on Monday)

> were seen feeding over the largest pond at Shelby Farms. There were

> adults in breeding and near winter plumage plus many immatures.

> Also seen were two adult Least Terns, a one day early immature

> Northern Harrier and the immature Little Blue Heron that has been

> seen for several days was feeding on Meander Lake.
>
> Virginia Reynolds
> Memphis, TN

Here, I thought Meander Lake was my little secret. We have seen a
Great Blue Heron there for most of the summer. There are also a male
and female Belted Kingfisher nesting there. The female has a little
red on the tummy. A pair of Killdeer prance on the gravel boat ramp
every time I visit with my new scope.

There is also a pair of Green Herons nesting under the brush on the
bank on the shooting range side of the lake, but I only see them
when they flush.

Robert Fowler
Memphis TN