[TN-Bird] Shelby County Black-throated Blue Warbler

  • From: kings4birds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:34:55 -0400

At the Wolf River Trail off Humphreys Blvd. in Shelby Co. today I saw (gulp)?a
Black-throated Blue Warbler,?in a mixed flock of migrants, including four
American Redstarts, two Blue-winged Warblers, several Magnolia Warblers, one
Gray Catbird, a Gray-cheeked?Thrush and a Swainson's Thrush. There were several
Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse and at least one White-eyed Vireo there
too, and?I heard American Goldfinches above as I was focused on the
Black-throated.?
I was at the "east trailhead" of the trail; the parking lot for this end is on
the north side of Humpreys Blvd., west of Germantown Pkwy. There's a?gas
boosting station right there where the?drive to the parking lot comes off
Humphreys. I had walked west on the paved trail beside the river, into the
woods, and just past the circle of benches.?

It was a pretty drab female. It was drooping its wings like the redstarts, but
clearly not a redstart. It wasn't fanning?the tail.?The upperparts were pretty
uniformly grayish, maybe with a hint of brown and even some olive across the
nape, but no blue.?There was a clear though small light wing patch at the base
of the primaries, and a thin light supercilium in an otherwise plain face. The
throat was light, yellowish-buff, the sides and breast?buffy, belly paler,
almost white;?undertail coverts were yellowish again, and the undertail
was?pale gray, with darker but not black corners. When I got home the?picture
of a first fall female in Peterson's Warblers is the closest picture I found,
though the cheek didn't show as much as that photo.?It was feeding at mid-level
in the trees between the path and the river.

Also, at the other end of the trail, the west trailhead, farther west down
Humphreys Blvd. (just east of Kirby), I saw (gulp, again) a Golden-winged
Warbler with more American Redstarts, a Black-and-White Warbler, White-eyed
Vireos, and Summer Tanagers. Brown Thrasher, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted
Titmouse, two Carolina Wrens, and another Magnolia Warbler rounded out that
flock; I had just crossed the footbridge when I saw this bunch.

Blue Jay (5-6?), Downy Woodpecker (3), Hairy Woodpecker (1), Northern
Mockingbird (2), European Starling (dozen?), Red-bellied Woodpecker (1),
Mourning?Dove (2), one Plieated Woodpecker (heard). Probably leaving out
something....I was too excited....

Gail King
near Poplar and Yates, Shelby County???

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES