[tn-bird] Shelby Co. yesterday

  • From: "William Peeples" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:44:15 -0500

Shelby Forest
Eagle Lake WMA
Shelby Farms

    Given the nice weather, I went out yesterday.  At Shelby Forest found ten
species of warblers (including a Blue-wing, 2 Worm-eatings, and a singing
Cerulean).  An adult Ring-billed Gull was on the sandflats at the river
landing.  Driving past a group of robins, I noticed a bird that looked white.
I thought it must have been a very pale collared-dove, so I drove back to look.
 It was an albino robin; all-white, with pink bill.  The second fully albino
bird I've seen this week; there was an all-white Horned Lark near Walls, MS
just south of TN line on Sunday.
    Eagle Lake held no surprises; still good numbers of Cattle and Great
Egrets, Great and Little Blue Herons, plus at least one Snowy and a Green; also
13 Blue-winged Teal and 7 Black-necked Stilts.
    The N. Shoveler was still at the fish ponds at Shelby Farms as of yesterday.

Rob Peeples
Germantown, TN