[TN-Bird] Sharp-shinned Hawk Movement

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:10:57 EDT

Oct. 17-18-19, 2004
TN-MS

I have seen more Sharp-shinned Hawks in the past few days than I can remember
in such a short period around here. Over the past couple of years I have
noted a dramatic increase in their numbers compared to the steep decline they
had
been through the previous years.

On Friday, in Collierville, I had 2 Cooper's and a Sharpie migrating over the
buildings I'm working in, all circling high. I had a Cooper's try to take a
squirrel in my yard that evening. The Cooper's scooped its victim up and landed
in a nearby tree and there was quite a scuffle, with wings flapping and tails
wagging and soon the squirrel dropped to the ground and made a bee line to
another tree. The Coop did not pursue but soon flew off across the street and
chased a Sharpie from another tree.

On Saturday morning, I had an immature Sharpie and a Cooper's migrating over
the river in Memphis and another Cooper's at the pits.

On Sunday Q. B. Gray and I had an adult Sharpie at Arkabutla Dam.

On Monday, I was driving down Walnut Bend Road in Germantown, when I saw what
I thought was a dead bird in the middle of the street. The pile of feathers
did not move as the car in front of me passed and I drove up and stopped to see
what had been hit. Out of the feathers popped up the head of an adult
Sharp-shinned Hawk with red eyes gleaming. It was mantling a small bird; I did
not
see what species, as the Sharp-shinned decided it would not share its hard
earned fair with an Ol'Coot.

The prior week I saw a good number of Cooper's Hawks hunting and migrating
but no Sharp-shinned.

Has anyone else noted more Sharp-shinned in the past few days or an increase
in their numbers over the past few years?

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN