[TN-Bird] Sharp's Ridge 5/3/13 & ID question

  • From: "Daniel B. Estabrooks" <dbe2g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 20:36:56 +0000

Sharp's Ridge
Knox County
5/3/13

I birded Sharp's Ridge for a couple hours this morning with my dad and Colin
Sumrall. Got the following warblers and a Red-headed Woodpecker:

Ovenbird
Blackpoll
Tennessee
Yellow-rumped
Cape May
Bay-breasted
Black-throated Green
Palm
Magnolia
Canada

Also heard a song that hopefully someone with more experience can help me out
with. The pattern was textbook Cerulean: "zeeer zeeer zee-zee-zee-zee
zeeeeeeeeee" with the last note highest in pitch. But the tonal quality was
real high and squeaky like a Blackburnian. I heard a similar song at Barfield
Crescent Park last year and never found that bird either.

Daniel Estabrooks