[TN-Bird] Seven Islands birds and such

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:34:58 -0700 (PDT)

Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge
Eastern Knox County
Sept 4, 2004

Hi folks,

Today I went banding with Jim Giocomo, 2 of his assistants, and a few
of the folks who help me at Tremont.  This was a bit of a trial run,
as most of Jim's work there has been focused on certain species of
interest.  Today we set up 6 nets along in this former agricultural
land, which is now being managed for native species.  2 nets were in
the middle of a large (40 acres?  I'm not good at guessing...) field.
 4 were along the perimeter of the field.  We caught 20 birds total:

2 Grasshopper Sparrows (first time I've ever seen this species up
close - very exciting!)
1 Indigo Bunting
several Field Sparrows
several Common Yellowthroats
1 Yellow Warbler
Several American Goldfinches
several Song Sparrows.
One Trails Flycatcher (I think Willow)

In addition, we saw or heard:
5 Double-crested Cormorants
3 Great Blue Herons
2 Canada Geese
1 Peregrine Falcon
2 probably Broad-winged Hawks
1 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
several Turkey Vultures
Mourning Doves
many Ruby-throated Hummingbirds
100's of Chimney Swifts
2 Northern Flickers
1 Pileated Woodpecker
2 Eastern Phoebes
American Crows
Blue Jays
Eastern Tufted Titmice
several Carolina Wrens
1 BLue-gray Gnatcatcher
Northern Mockingbirds
many European Starlings
1 Yellow-breasted Chat
Several Indigo Buntings
Northern Cardinals
1 Blue Grosbeak
Chipping Sparrows
2 more Grasshopper Sparrows
1 Swamp Sparrow
several Eastern Towhees
several flocks of blackbirds, mostly Common Grackles, with some
Red-wingeds and maybe some cowbirds thrown in.

Non-birds:
2 Eastern Fence Lizards
2 Velvet ants
captured one female northern form Illinois River Cruiser
Saw several Skimming Bluets, including mating pairs
several Black Saddlebags
2 Meadowhawks (I think Ruby)

Now lets see what the group David Trently is leading finds this
afternoon!

If you haven't been to Seven Islands, it's a great place.  Just bring
plenty of water and sunscreen if it's a clear day.  A lot easier than
walking in the Smokies...

Good day!

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey