[tn-bird] Seven Islands WR

  • From: dtrently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:17:09 -0400

On Tuesday, July 16, Richard Hall and I visited the newest park in Knox County
- Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge (Midway Exit off I-40...south on Midway Rd to
its end, turn left and then the first right down Kelly Lane to the parking
area for the refuge. There are some signs for the refuge, but they take you a
different way, which I haven't tried yet)

This area is being run by Knox County Parks & Recreation as a wildlife refuge,
something the county has not done before. Parts of it are being replanted in
native warm-season grasses, some in crops (primarily soybean, I believe),
there may be a water pump set to allow fields to be partially flooded during
waterfowl season. Habitats include grasses, crops fields, brushy edges,
forest, pond, barns and it runs along the French Broad River. On a previous
trip here, 2 immature Bald Eagles flew over, but none were seen in the fog on
Tuesday.

Here are some of what were present:

Great Blue Heron
Red-tailed Hawk
Northern Bobwhite - several. This is one of the best places to see this
species.
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Downy, Red-bellied & Pileated Woodpeckers
E Phoebe
E Kingbird
Barn Swallow 50+
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
N Mockingbird
E Bluebird
Wood Thrush
Eur Starling
Black-and-white Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Summer Tanager (hard to find in Knox County)
Indigo Bunting
Blue Grosbeak
Northern Cardinal
E Towhee