[TN-Bird] Sequatchie Valley

  • From: "Howard Chitwood" <hchitwood@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 12:10:37 -0500

On Tuesday, January 31, 2006, I visited the northern Sequatchie Valley to look
for the Short-eared Owls and Northern Harriers.  I was able to locate the pond
and field on Ninemile Crossroad 0.9 miles east of U. S. Highway 127.  I arrived
at 4:45 p.m. CST and spotted a Northern Harrier at 4:50; she took prey and
perched on a fence post.  By 5:00 p.m. light was fading and I noticed three
birds perching in a large tree on the nearby northern ridge; I was able to
scope them and see that they were obviously owls but I could not get a positive
identification.  Soon, two Harriers seemed to be harassing the perched owls;
the owls flew and began to hunt over the field.  As they hunted nearer the
pond, there was sufficient light coming up the valley from the southwest to
show the identifying markings on the upper and under wings; no prey was taken
and none of the owls perched on fence posts. By 5:20 the owls had left the area
but two Harriers continued their hunt.  As I was leaving at 5:30 I saw one of
the owls perched in a tree near the farm buildings.  I did not see any other
birders while I was there.  (Note: all times were Central Time Zone).
Howard Chitwood
Jefferson City, TN