[tn-bird] Semi-permeable membrane

  • From: Meredith <meredith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 21:34:04 -0400

This is a busy time of year for me and reading about all the
migration going on around me from all of you lucky $#@*&'s
at least gives me a sense of time even if I'm bit removed.
BUT... whilst being remarkably productive here at my desk
today, putting a talk together for tomorrow, I was able to
experience my own personal little wave in the seasonal flow
of life - as it came right through the house!

Was sliding the rocking chair over to open a window and
something skittered off between my bare feet behind the wood
stove. I envisioned some forgotten escapee rodentia toy from
the cats.  But when I finally cornered the varmit, it was an
ovenbird!  Every time I get a bird in hand like that, the
colors seem so new and exotic.  I imagine it's something as
yet unknown to science. Unknown to me anyway. I thought
ovenbirds were brown?  Not! This time of year we leave lots
of unscreened doors and windows open and since the cats
don't waste their precious nap time on healthy birds,  it
must have just wandered in.  There is always a childish
moment of trying to rationalize a reason to keep such a
beauty for myself.  She's so perfect!  But alas, after
putting her right next to Sibley and convincing myself it
was
not some new genera, I opened my hand and up she went.  Good
for her I thought.

A short time later I walked outside and a movement caught my
eye inside the greenhouse.  Yep.  The ovenbird.  Go figure.
I couldn't help her there, so hope she found her way out
(there are numerous exits). Does anyone have a clue as to
why she might be so fascinated with being an indoor bird?

Just got back from a late run to Kinkos and when I opened
the door there were 3 cats hunkered down staring at a point
in the middle of the floor.  But before I could investigate,
I heard an excited flutter at the window next to me. A moth
I assumed.  Nope.
A hummingbird.  across the room is a window with jewelweed
basically growing into the house, and while foraging I guess
it got
disoriented?  Such a sweet distress call they have. No, M,
don't even think about keeping it.  OK, I just want to feel
it for just a second, but to press hard enough to feel
anything would crush her.  So ... off she goes.  The cats
were mesmerized by a innocent newborn ratsnake who'd
wandered in.  Third one I'd run across today.  OK. Out you
go.  And now it's a sphinx moth headed for the cruel death
of the halogen lamp ... got it!

If this is any indication, I'd say I'm missing a helluva lot
on the other side of these walls.  I wonder what Gale Norton
saw today....

Meredith Clebsch
Loudon County
Greenback, TN