[TN-Bird] Scott Somershoe to speak at Cumberland-Harpeth Audubon on Sept 7 - Birds, Bottomlands, and the Breeding Season

  • From: "Shay, Sheila" <sheila.shay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:21:19 -0500

Thought the following might be of interest to people on this list -
Scott Somershoe our new State ornithologist will be speaking in
Nashville on September 7 at 7 PM at Radnor lake.

Birds, Bottomlands, and the Breeding Season

By Scott Somershoe, State Ornithologist

September 7 at 7:00 p.m. at Radnor Lake Visitor Center, 1160 Otter Creek
Road

Is timber harvest bad for birds?  I will answer this question and many
others in a presentation on research I conducted while working with the
US Geological Survey in Vicksburg, MS.  First, I will discuss different
timber management techniques, bird survey methodology (i.e. point counts
and bird banding, with lots of bird pictures), and the results of
intense fieldwork on how management affects breeding and wintering birds
in bottomland hardwood forests at the Tensas River National Wildlife
Refuge, in northeast Louisiana.  Second, I will discuss Breeding Bird
Surveys and how a slight modification of protocols could greatly enhance
the information we collect about bird populations and long-term
population trends.  Third, I will discuss my experience with
Ivory-billed Woodpeckers and the White River National Wildlife Refuge.
Finally, I'll bring everyone up to date with the Tennessee IBA program,
what is happening with all the point count data that has been collected
since the mid-1990's, and other projects I'm working on and thinking
about starting.

I'm a southernized Yankee from the Philadelphia, PA area.  I attended
college at Millersville University in Lancaster County, PA.  After my
sophomore year, I saw some birds in my parent's backyard and became
fascinated, especially one robin-sized gray bird with a brown rump who
was "meowing!"  I changed majors and graduated on time with a double
major in Marine and Environmental Biology.  Immediately after graduation
I began my Master's degree at Georgia Southern University where I
studied the stopover ecology of Neotropical migratory songbirds during
spring and fall migration along the Georgia coast.  After graduation, I
briefly attended Auburn University before taking a job with the US
Geological Survey in Vicksburg, MS.  With the USGS, I worked on several
projects related to management of bottomland hardwood forests, including
the studies mentioned above.  Most recently on 1 April 2006, I began
working in my current position as State Ornithologist with Tennessee
Wildlife Resources Agency after four years with the USGS.

Sheila

Sheila Shay
Newsletter Editor, Cumberland-Harpeth Audubon Society
Nashville, TN
Home: 615-298-5154
Work: 615-343-2392
e-mail: Sheila.shay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Sheila.shay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>