[TN-Bird] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in Marion Co., TN

  • From: BrdMann@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:04:38 EDT

My wife and I checked the South Pittsburg, TN area on the way back from
conducting the Jasper BBS route I have done for the past 30+ years specifically

looking for the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers reported in the vicinity of Big
Daddy's store just across the Stateline along US 72 in Jackson County, Alabama.

No luck there after searching for 15 - 20 minutes and checking the first  exit
in Alabama as well.
On the way home, we stopped to check the pond at the South Pittsburg Sewer
Treatment Plant on the east side of the road (US 72). Nothing but Killdeer
(10) were present. Heading on north, approximately 0.1 mile north of the plant,

an adult Scissor-tailed Flycatcher flew across the road from east to west at
11:17 AM CDT. It appeared to be a male. Subsequent efforts to relocate  it in
the town of South Pittsburg--we checked the ballfields around the  High School
and the fields around the foundry--were unsuccessful.
Good birding,
Daniel R. Jacobson
Hixson (Hamilton County), Tennessee