[TN-Bird] "Scalped" chickadee with a "comb-over."

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:34:20 EDT

Hello again,

Some of you may remember that I reported a chickadee which had apparently
been scalped by a predator here in Charlotte Park, West Nashville, Davidson
County, near the Cumberland River, back in the early spring.  It appeared one
day
with a bloody head and with the top of its skull showing.  I described the ring
of feathers around the injury as being "somewhat reminiscent of "Uncle
Fester" on the old ADDAMS FAMILY television show."  After watching this little
bird
eat voraciously for several days, it disappeared.  I thought perhaps infection
had gotten it even though it escaped from the cat or hawk that probably
attacked it.

The little bird must have been a migrating chickadee, for there is one here
now that appears to be the same one.  At least, it has exactly the same sort of
injury.  Although it's little bleached skull is partially hidden, it (skull)
can still be seen lurking under a light "comb-over" of feathers that grew in
around it on the sides and back of its head.  Lacking any feathers over the
central skull area where the skin didn't grow back gives the head a somewhat
flat
appearance.  Feathers growing behind the injury give the little bird the sort
of "crowned" look of black feathers at the back of a bare-looking spot that
remind me a little of wintering royal, elegant or Caspian terns.  This is a
very active chickadee to the point of being almost hyper in its behavior.
Guess
any of us would be hyper if we'd been scalped!

At any rate, it is nice to have the little darlin' going back through and to
feel as if this is one that "ran the gauntlet" and lived to feed another day.
I don't know if it will winter with me or forge on southward.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN