[TN-Bird] Say's Phoebe in Obion County

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:26:07 -0800 (PST)

Today at about 2:00pm I found a Say's Phoebe in eastern Obion County on S. Hall
Griffin Road. It was near address 219 (Dowdy on mailbox). The bird was
flycatching from a fence behind a barn on the west side of the road. It was too
far away for a picture but I got good looks at it through the window mounted
scope. This road runs north and south and intersects Loyce Laster Road to the
south and Will Dickerson Road to the north. This is not too far from the
Weakley County line.

I came back by the area around 3:00pm to try and photograph the bird and I saw
the bird fly across the road in front of me and land in a corn stubble field on
the east side of the road, still too far for a picture. This is my fourth Say's
Phoebe for TN and the bird sitting out in the corn field on a corn stalk
reminded me of the one that Jeff Wilson, Gene & Shannon Knight and I had on a
Big Day at Phillipy in Lake County in May 1994.

I will try to check the area again tomorrow. I also had Sandhill Cranes in
several fields in the general area. The biggest group I saw today (400+ birds)
was once again just north of Kenton on Hwy 45W, in the fields east of the
Kenton water tower.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN