[TN-Bird] Re: Say's Phoebe

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bananaquit1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 07:32:16 -0600

I was on the late shift yesterday, arriving at Hatchie at around 3:30PM. The 25
MPH straight linewinds off the lake gave me doubts the bird would still be
there (I hadn't seen Mike Todd's postat that point yet), but location only took
a few minutes.
I just wanted to thank Mac McWhirter et al for the kind and prompt reporting,
as well as Mike T.for the update. The bird was still hawking insects (ala the
many Eastern Bluebirds) around the boardwalk and kiosk when I headed back
towards Nashville around 5:30 yesterday afternoon.As Mike mentioned, it also,
as if on a whim, flies directly to the tree line across the road and sometimes
beyond to the water's edge once in a while, but returns fairly promptly.
Judging by the attached photo, the bird might stick around for a while!
Ed SchneiderNashvilleDavidson Co.
From: Bananaquit1@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Say's Phoebe
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 07:47:25 -0500

Yesterday, Libby Wolfe, Jan Chadwell and I drove
across TN to see the Say's Phoebe at Hatchie.  We joined Jeff Wilson and
Allen Trently there.  The Say's Phoebe was seen mostly on the fences
surrounding the headquarters while we were there.  It flew to different
locations (trees and corn stubble) and did not allow us to get close but we
still had wonderful looks at a new state bird.  Jeff said that Vermillion
Flycatcher had been at the same location in previous years.  Hatchie is
definitely a place worth checking for rare birds.

Tommie Rogers