[TN-Bird] Re: Say's Phoebe

  • From: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx" <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 10:44:43 -0600

Chad Smith and I saw the say's phoebe at 810 and then not again until 940.
The bird was very active for an hour and did not respond at all to the
minimal playback we did (just to see if it was as responsive as had been
previously found).

Scott Somershoe

Sent from my iPhone.

On Feb 2, 2012, at 10:32 AM, Chris Sloan <csloan1973@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As a preface to the clarification I'm about to make, I'm NOT opining one
way or another as to whether or not you should use playback.  That's a
different can of worms.

Now, as for the clarification, what Dean says is not quite accurate to the
best of my knowledge.  The prohibition he references is found in 50 C.F.R.
27.72 and it is only a prohibition on playback or use of audio equipment
"so as to cause unreasonable disturbance to others in the vicinity."  This
is not the same thing as saying any use of playback is illegal.  There are
parks, however, that have specific park rules and regulations that are more
restrictive than this federal regulation.

regards,

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com