[TN-Bird] Savannah Bottoms, Pickwick

  • From: tnbarredowl@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 07:40:23 -0500 (EST)

Warren Massey and I spent a few hours yesterday at Pickwick Dam and in the
Savannah Bottoms.  Unfortunately, we didn't have time to walk any fields
looking for sparrows.  At the dam, we had several Ring-billed and Herring
Gulls, Common Loons, Pied-billed and Horned Grebes, Gadwall, Green-winged Teal,
Ring-necked Ducks and Ruddy Ducks.  An adult Bald Eagle was also a treat.  We
had watched a large flock (500) of cormorants flying overhead as we traveled to
the dam, but obviously they did not stop there.  In the bottoms, we flushed
numerous Savannah Sparrows along the road side.  We also had several Vesper
Sparrows flying around as well.  Several fields were being plowed that morning,
and the Killdeer, Horned Larks and Pipits were taking advantage of the fresh
feeding grounds.  We found several hundred of each, but could not find any
longspurs.  One field was also being used by five Brewer's Blackbirds (1 male
and 4 female).  Another highlight for the trip was getting to watch a male
Merlin chasing a Kestrel.  Both birds finally settled in to separate trees, and
we were able to get great looks through our scope,

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL