[tn-bird] Saturday birding 2/02/2002

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:21:18 EST

I will leave the majority of the days birds to the master, Jeff Wilson. After
birding the Halls and Lauderdale area, I birded north to the Great River
Road, where I ran into Jeff. Duck numbers are way down at Lauderdale,
although there is still a tremendous variety compared to most spots, with a
45 minute stop producing 15 species. The airport at Halls still held Pipits,
Horned Larks, and a few fly over Laps. The West TN Red-tailed Hawk parade
produced, in addition to the plethora of Eastern Red-tailed's, adult Dark and
Rufous-morph Western's in the Halls vicinity, a striking adult Krider's near
the Great River Road, and another Rufous-morph near Gleason. A get a big kick
out of watching the diversity of plumage shown by the winter Red-tailed's
around here. One of these days I'm gonna get down to Tunica Co. Mississippi
where it is even better. Another highlight of the day was watching the big
flocks of geese stream north, with the occasional diminutive Ross's thrown
in.

Good birding!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN