[TN-Bird] Saturday and Sunday at Hiwassee Refuge

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 02:43:42 EST

As an attendee at Friday nights function in Chattanooga I would also like to
offer my thanks to all who planned the meeting!  I had been waiting until
someone posted the results before I made any comments about our two day
outing  at the refuge.

Saturday morning was a day for the "real troopers" to come out with their
spotting scopes and binoculars, along with their expertise, to offer to the
droves of people arriving by car and bus.  Most of the morning the ground
remained frozen and there was a brisk wind in our faces.  But, nothing seemed
to stop the rosy cheeked T.O.S. participants from imparting their wisdom on
anyone who would gather around and listen.  Almost all our guests, it seemed,
possessed hopes of seeing  the Whooping Cranes this year.  There was only
mild disappointment as we explained they were on a different time table from
their cousins the Sandhill Cranes.  In the last seven years, I have never had
to field so many questions about Whooper's as opposed to Sandhill's.

As always, even though the event is geared toward the Sandhill Cranes, the
appearance of an eagle will steal the show.  On Saturday we saw three
immature Bald Eagles  before having two adults who circled just over the
heads of everyone.  A group from the Atlanta Audubon Society laid claim to
the best bird of the day as they viewed a perched Merlin.  Someone added it
to our list of birds seen for that day but we didn't learn who had posted the
sighting until later in the morning.  In the afternoon the Merlin again made
an appearance as it flew about four foot above the ground and only about
forty foot in front of the roped off area.  What a sight!  And what a
commotion a small dark falcon with blue gray pointed wings, chocolate body
and much dark streaking on its breast caused.  Kenn Kaufman described it as
"a classic example of an adult male Merlin".  I wondered just how many of the
people gathered around knew who this special person was?  He joined us at the
viewing area for just over an hour.

Sunday was a carbon copy of the day before minus people arriving on buses and
also minus the Merlin.  However, it was still another exciting day as Ken
Dubke entertained the crowd with stories and facts from the past and the
present.  In the late afternoon as it began to grow colder, snow flurries
began to fall just as the crowd was dwindling. That became the signal for the
last of the volunteers to pack up and depart for home.

For those of you who were not able to attend, hopefully you will be in for a
big surprise next year!  T.W.R.A. is now in the process of building an
educational facility for our use in the coming years.  Believe me, it will be
a welcomed addition.  If any of you have had to endure using the porta
potties or standing outside freezing, you can understand my excitement at the
prospect of having a roof over our heads.  There will be indoor plumbing,
classrooms and large glassed windows to view the cranes from.  Did I mention
all this can be enjoyed while in heated comfort!  The foundation, block work,
flooring, framing and very stable full length porches on both sides of the
facility are already completed.

Each year we enjoy the hospitality and fruits of labor of the T.W.R.A.
Hiwassee Refuge employees who work so hard to make "our" event such a
success!  I know a lots of thanks are due other  T.W.R.A. employees as well
but I think it is time we offer special recognition to the Hiwassee Refuge
employees themselves.

Nobody died and made me head deacon but I would like to express my gratitude
to each of the T.O.S. volunteers who faithfully come year after year.  Your
efforts are indeed commendable.  I count it a special blessing that you allow
me inclusion in the group and to participate with you!  The eleventh annual
Sandhill Crane / Cherokee Heritage viewing days is in the books.  Here's to
the success of next year!!!

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Tn.