[TN-Bird] Saturday Nashville TOS Field Trip - Wheeler NWR (AL)

  • From: "Mann, Jon" <JMann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:31:04 -0600

The Nashville Chapter of TOS will be holding a field trip to Wheeler NWR
in northern Alabama this Saturday, January 21st.  We will be leaving
from the Adventure Science Center Parking Lot at 6:30 am.  To reach the
Adventure Science Center, exit I-65 at Wedgewood Avenue, follow blue
signs.

The all-day trip will explore various areas of the NWR, looking for
wintering waterfowl, Sandhill Cranes, and other wintering birds.  We
will begin at the Visitor Center, using the enclosed observation area to
scan the display ponds/fields. After an early lunch in Decatur, we will
then travel the closed-to-public White Springs Dike Road all the way to
Limestone Bay.  We will search for waterfowl, etc along the road, and
make special effort to locate the Vermillion Flycatcher that is
wintering along the road.  Another rarity possible is a Red-necked Grebe
that has been seen in Limestone Bay all winter.

If you have any questions, please e-mail, or call me at 615-566-4380.  I
would appreciate anyone interested to let me know that you are coming so
we can plan the car pools.

Thanks,

Jon Mann

Nashville, TN