[TN-Bird] Sandhills everywhere

  • From: "Bob Edens" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 17:34:10 -0500

Bob Edens, Hamilton Co.
Today we were in Dayton and decided to look for eagles.
When we arrived at the North side of the TN river at Blythe ferry Rd, there
were very few sandhills close. I noticed a large canoe trailer and started
scoping the area and found what looked to be a kayak tour about 50 feet off
the far shore 1/4 mile or less upstream of Blithe ferry rd. (That's why I
didn't see many sandhills, I guess)

There were a hundred, give or take another hundred seen from the viewing
area.

As we Continued down Blythe ferry rd to a known eagle nest location, there
were sandhills in almost every farmers field along the way, some 50 feet
from the road ( they didn't seem wary of cars at all, which I didn't like)

I may have seen the eagle sitting near its nest, I may have started seeing
things by then. Did see a huge red-tail and managed some very good photos of
the sandhills (or so I hope)

Keep Looking up!
Bob Edens
Chattanooga, Hamilton Co, TN