[TN-Bird] Sandhill Cranes on the Move Again in the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge Area

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:52:06 -0800 (PST)

Hundreds of sandhill cranes were flying south over Birchwood from the direction
of the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs County this morning. Ms. Jen Davis,
International Crane Foundation tracker (of the whooping cranes) told me a few
days ago that about half of the eastern population of whooping cranes are still
north of Tennessee. Therefore, I would assume that there are still many
sandhill cranes north of us, as well. Maybe the recent passage of the cold
front will bring  more of both species south.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN