[TN-Bird] Sandhill Cranes

  • From: "Charles Murray" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:00:01 -0700

The first sandhill cranes of the season were seen over Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge
in Meigs County this morning about 10 AM. I counted six birds, and Keith - on
the staff of TWRA at HWR - said he saw "about 10" near the same time. I thought
I heard another group, and Keith may have seen that group. The six birds I saw
apparently continued on to the south. I did not see them land.

There were a small number of Canada geese in the slough below the gazebo at HWR
at the same time this morning. A mostly white goose was with them; it appeared
to have some light gray shading on the breast. That goose looked like the photo
of a "white morph" snow goose on the iBird PRO app. However, since the bird was
somewhat larger than the Canada geese, I'm assuming that it is a domestic goose.

I had a first of the season white-throated sparrow at my home in Birchwood
(Hamilton County) yesterday. I first heard and then saw a fish crow from the
Cherokee Removal Memorial Park (Meigs County) yesterday. I did not seen any
fall warblers yesterday nor so far today.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN