[TN-Bird] Re: Sandhill Cranes

  • From: Shannon Hatmaker Moore <shatmak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "shelcove@xxxxxxx" <shelcove@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 10:38:21 -0500

The best way to prevent the vote from passing was public outcry, which
happened.  The most confusing part is that it seems like there is a good chance
this could impact the whoopers.  If any whooping crane is shot or if the
population is impacted I think the entire hunt will be shut down (there are
many legal groups that would be willing to fight that battle I'm sure).

As for a re-vote, I do not think this was a vote for a trial period.  So the
answer would be no about an annual vote.  Once it's done, it's done.  Unless,
like I said a case can be brought under the Endangered Species Act if the
whooping cranes are hurt.

Does anyone know if there are any research projects right now at the Refuge so
a case could be made for population change of the whoopers pre- versus
post-hunt over the next couple of years?  Dr. Aborn?

Shannon Hatmaker Moore
Warner Park Nature Center