[TN-Bird] Sandhill Crane, Chipping Sparrow, House Finch

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "sefc" <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:33:08 -0500

Hamilton County, TN
Feb 24, 2006
Sandhill Crane, 250+ in 4 groups,
flying NW along the W side of White Oak Mountain,
in the direction of Hiwassee Refuge

Chipping Sparrow with white patches on nape and bend of wing,
bright white about 1/4 of upper body surface,
at our feeder all February with 10 - 25+ usual color Chippies

House Finch nest, complete, with attending male and female,
heavy droppings under nest, Feb 24 (I think this is a very early date),
Gunbarrel Road AmSouth branch bank,
on a security camera in the drive-thru banking area (this seems to be
an unusual location, the area is paved in all directions, with almost no
vegetation.)  We plan to return and make more detailed observations, and
inspect for eggs/young.

David and Gloria Patterson
Chattanooga