[TN-Bird] Sage Thrasher, MacGillivray's, Surf Scoter!

  • From: JanKShaw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:55:48 EST

What a day!  Four of us from Nashville made the trip to Knoxville this
morning to see the Sage Thrasher.  What wonderful looks we had for an hour as
it sat
up in a bare tree for all to see through bins, scopes, and video cameras.
Thanks so much to Susan for finding this rarity, and for sharing it with all of
us.  And thanks to Marcia for getting the permission for us to be able to
tromp around on private property.
We got back to Nashville about 4:30 so I decided to check on "my"
MacGillivray's at Radnor Lake before it got dark.  As I got up to the bridge
over the
spillway, I spotted a juvenile Surf Scoter just out 50 feet!  I watched it for
while and got some video, walked across the bridge, and heard the
MacGillivray's chipping away along the fence line.  I saw it go from bush to
bush in front
of the ranger's house and then down toward the water.

After watching the scoter until it got dark, I walked back to my car with a
pair of Great Horned Owls serenading me.

Isn't birding grand!  What's next?

Jan Shaw
Nashville, TN