[TN-Bird] Rutherford rookery?

  • From: "Paul F. Wells" <pfwells@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:43:06 -0500

Saturday morning, having been awakened at daybreak by the singing of the choir
of the College of Cardinals outside my open bedroom window, I dragged my sleepy
self out of my warm bed and out into the morning chill to check out the
feathery action at Murfree Springs, the small wetland adjacent to the
Children's Discovery Center here in the 'Boro.  Tis a nice little birding spot;
I can pretty much count on seeing 20-25 species each visit.  There's a core of
regulars but usually a few less-common ones to spice up the mix.
The big treat this visit was my first look of the year at the pair of
yellow-crowned night herons that nested there last year.  At least I assume
it's the same pair...  I spotted them high in a tree across the creek in front
of the museum, and quickly also realized that their nest was in the same tree.
Cool--I'd not managed to spot the nest last year.

I then did the circuit on the raised boardwalk, and enjoyed sightings of 4-6
wood ducks, a couple pair of Canada geese, a kingfisher, 2-3 pairs of flickers,
a brown  thrasher, a brown creeper, a swamp sparrow, several downy woodpeckers,
and assorted other delights.  Before heading home for hot coffee, I took
another swing to the area where the YCNHs had been.  This time only one was in
the tree, and after walking a bit further I came upon its mate, down in the
creek, right near the trail.  Got a great look, from less than 20 yards away.
I froze as soon as I saw him/her, and, as it was turned away from me when I
came upon it, I don't think it ever really noticed my presence.

This afternoon, after a lovely walk with my wife on the M'boro greenway, in
*much* nicer weather, we took a swing to Murfree spring to try to give Pat a
look at the herons.  A GBH was inhabiting the creek, and sure enough, the
yellow-crowns were up in "their" tree.  One was even sitting on the nest.

The big surprise, though, came as we walked back to the car.  When almost to
the parking lot we looked up and there, coming almost right towards us, were
two *more* YCNHs!  They flew into the trees in the general vicinity of the
first pair.  The young from last year?  Another nesting pair?  Do we have the
makings of a small rookery here?  One can hope!

pfw