[TN-Bird] Rutherford and Wilson Counties this AM

  • From: Stczipperer@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:22:49 -0500 (EST)

1/10/13
Smyrna, TN
Rutherford Co.
Traveling

Since it rained I headed for the Retention Pond at Nissan Dr. and Ken
Pilkerton Dr. across from Nissan Plant Gate 3 this morning after work.  I
found
29 Mallards and 1 American Black Duck.  I missed the  Black Duck in
December and was waiting for a good rain to fill the pond up and  hope the
Black
Duck was still in the area.

Went to Fate Sanders and the water level was a lot lower than the drought
levels of this summer.  I had heard the Corp was dropping Percy Priest lake
and they had.  There was a lot of current in the water.  I counted 30
Pied-Billed Grebes.  Most had minnows in their bills.

Mt. Juliet, TN
Wilson Co.

I had been wanting to check out a couple of ponds in Wilson Co. near where
I lived when I went to High School. They are both on South Rutland Rd. in
Mt.  Juliet, TN  South Rutland Rd.  goes from Central Pike to Beckwith Rd
which is the next exit on I-40 after the Mt. Juliet Rd exit heading east.
The first pond is private and can be seen on Google earth it had 2  Gadwalls.
The Second pond which is now called Benjamin Franklin  Pond is surrounded
by a Greenway and houses.  I used to fish and  frog gig and camp at the pond
when I was a teenager.  It was a large farm  pond with cows and a big red
barn and farm house.  Used to help the guy who  owned it and he would let me
fish and camp for free.  Charged everyone else  to fish.  Even with the
development the pond had 16 Buffleheads, 10  Lesser Scaup, 2 Ring-billed Ducks,
and some Mallards, and a Belted  Kingfisher.  There were some other ducks but
I was on a main road  and the light was bad.  This is part of The
Providence Mall  development.  There are a lot of gated communities.  I am not
sure
if  the one around the pond is.  Looks like parking near the pond on Google
Earth.  Check it out if your in the Mall area.