[TN-Bird] Rutherford County Feeder Birds

  • From: kristybaker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 00:44:17 +0000 (UTC)

Hello!

Every day since Monday has been extremely busy at the feeders.  Unfortunately,
the European Starlings and Red-winged Blackbirds descended early Monday
morning.  Every time I would go by a window, I would scare them off (anywhere
from 50-200 birds at a time) in order to let the other birds come in.  As soon
as the flock dispersed, the smaller birds would come flying in from all
directions.  They would be able to feed for a short period of time before the
large flock would come back.  I probably should have stopped feeding the birds
all together in order to get the large flock to go elsewhere, but with all the
ice, I just didn't have the heart to give up on all the little birds.  So -
this cycle repeated itself throughout the day, every day, all week.  Last night
I finally went out to buy cracked corn and threw this in another area of the
yard.  Doing so diverted some of the blackbird traffic out of the feeder area
so the other birds were able to come and go more freely today.

Sasha and I made two large batches of Zick Dough this week and used up most of
another batch that we already had.  I would crumble and throw the suet out
around the backyard.  Although I did not sit to watch feeders, I did get to see
several different birds eating the dough including bluebirds, mockingbirds,
thrasher, towhee, titmouse and a robin!  The same robin has been here all week
and as soon as he realizes I am "slinging" suet, he flies in to start eating.

The recipe, for the NEW ZICK DOUGH: BIG BATCH is:  5 cups (1 40 oz jar) peanut
butter, 5 cups (1/3 of the 64-oz bucket) of lard (Wal-Mart, in the Shortening
aisle); 10 cups chick starter (available at any feed store); 10 cups quick
oats; 5 cups yellow cornmeal; 5 cups flour.  If you would like to make a
smaller batch, here is a link to the blog and recipe (large and small batch):
http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2010/03/zick-dough-improved.html  .

Birds seen this week at the feeders but not seen today included:  Pine Siskins,
Eastern Bluebirds, Field Sparrow, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Song Sparrows.
Birds observed today included a Purple Finch and a Fox Sparrow (new yard bird)!
 The Northern Cardinal that lost his leg in last year's ice storm is still
around.  I was worried about him during this storm, but he has showed up every
day this week!

Birds seen today:
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker