[TN-Bird] Rutherford Co. raptors

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 01:00:36 +0000

Although I didn't go birding at all today, I had several nice raptor finds in
Rutherford Co.

1. Merlin flew over Weakley Lane in Smyrna near the National Guard facility.

2. The adult dark phase Western Red-tailed Hawk that I originally found on 15
Feb 2013 is still present at Sharp Springs Park in Smyrna. It was perched in
the same tree.
A couple crummy photos taken in the rain on 15 Feb 2013 start here:
http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/image/149126625

3. After passing by the cell tower at Jefferson Springs and Sam Ridley Pkwy
several times in recent days, I finally saw an Osprey this afternoon.  Last
year, I didn't see a bird on that nest until 23 March 2012 and that was with
regular drive-by's specifically looking for one.

4. Red-tailed Hawks have been incubating eggs since 18 Feb 2013 in a nest in a
huge oak tree behind my house in Smyrna.

Good non-birding birds!
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency