[TN-Bird] Rusty Blackbirds in Coffee Co.

  • From: Jeannie Swant <jswant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 22:23:24 +0000

A flock of 45-50 Rusty Blackbirds were feeding Sunday afternoon just north of
Exit 117, I-24 in Coffee County.  I noticed as I drove by that this was a
smallish flock feeding around water in mowed Fescue and mixed grass.  This is
the earliest I've observed Rustys and it was nice to see the variety of
plumages, from breeding to non-breeding, and in-between variations.

This was also the largest flock I've seen in this area.  Jeannie and I saw a
flock of about 30 two years ago and that was the previous largest group seen
around the area.  We normally check for Rustys if we notice a flock in wet
wooded habitat in groups of small numbers.  This has proved quite productive
for us but usually in numbers of a dozen or even less.

Dale Swant
Coffee County