[tn-bird] Rufous recap / Brown-headed Nuthatch, etc.

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Listserv" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"HUMNET" <humnet-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 17:10:40 -0600

This morning in Loudoun, TN at the home of Don and Tricia Richardson,
Portia Macmillan and I trapped an AHY-F RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD.  Much to our
delight, it already had a band - Y85012!

A quick phone call to Big Bad Bob Sargent revealed that this little gal
had originally been banded by Fred Moore in Gainesville, Georgia as an
SY on 1/17/01.  Interestingly, if memory serves me, we recaptured
another bird last winter (an AHY-M) that had also originally been banded
in Gainesville in the previous January.

The Richardsons actually have had two birds coming to their feeder, but
only one put in an appearance today.

Here are the particulars on the bird today:
Band: Y85012
Time: 0915 EST
Age: AHY (now known to be ASY)
Sex: F
Wing: 42.61 mm
Tail: 27 mm
Culmen: 18.25 mm
Grooving: 0 percent
Gorget Feathers: 9
Fat: 0
Wgt: 3.65 g

On the way to trap this bird, we had two flocks of SANDHILL CRANES
totalling 11 birds fly over the interstate.  On the way home, we made a
quick stop to get some great looks at (and halfway decent pictures of)
an obliging BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH at its usual haunt in the small stand
of Virginia Pines at the Fishing & Recreation Area of Kingston Steam
Plant.  A PINE WARBLER was in full song nearby as well.

Lastly, on returning home I paid a visit to a homeowner that lives near
me in west Nashville to review some photos of his winter hummer that
departed during the rainstorms about ten days ago.  Photos indicated a
female RUFOUS.

Chris Sloan
chris.sloan@xxxxxxxx
Nashville, TN