[tn-bird] Rufous Hummingbird in Nashville

  • From: Chris Sloan <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,'HUMNET' <humnet-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:04:05 -0500

Earlier this morning (Sept. 21), Portia Macmillan and I captured and
banded a hatching-year male RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD in the Green Hills are of
Nashville.  This feisty youngster was very vocal and was actively
defending the feeder against several Ruby-throats that are also still in
the area.  The hosts, Bill and Joan Dougherty (pronounced with long o
and silent g), indicate that it first arrived on Sept. 15.

This is a significant observation, because it is only the second time
that an age/sex class of Rufous other than AHY-M has been detected in
Tennessee prior to the departure of the last of the Ruby-throats
(typically mid-October), despite a number of reports (including two
already this year) of adult male Rufous during that period.  Just last
week, I wrote in an article to be published in the Migrant in December
that I attributed this pattern to the fact that adult male Rufous are
much more easily detected amongst Ruby-throats than are
immatures/females, and today's bird seems to lend support to that
hypothesis.

Visitors are welcome, but please call in advance.  The number is (615)
297-7339.  The address is 3417 Amanda Avenue.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN