[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 99

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 06:35:58 -0600

Willie is wary this morning.  He came early - 5:50 a.m. - for his
confirmation sip (yep, the sugar water is still there) and then came
back 5 more times in the next 10 minutes.  Although he sat on each of
these five visits, it was only for a couple of seconds.  That was enough
time for us to see that his gorget molt is rapidly being completed; at
this point we can't imagine how the finished throat will look as some of
it appears dark and yet there seems to be a newer orange-red color there
too.   And the green on his head and back definitely is enlarging in
area.  The side view is still gorgeous as he sits with his face buried
in the feeder port.  He is almost on a perfect half-day cycle of feeding
and resting as he fed until 5:40 p.m. yesterday.

Tomorrow will begin Willie's triple digit days with us.  How much he has
changed our lives.  We get up early, hang his feeder,  and everything
gets put on hold until he arrives and that signals the beginning of our
day.  Then dozens of times each day we go to the kitchen door to see if
he is on the feeder or sitting in his bare bush resting place.
Afternoons we try to watch for his last hour or two of activity as these
are his insect catching times near the feeder and his acrobatics are
awesome.  One person wrote recently to say when they first began reading
our reports she thought we needed to get a life but Willie won her over
and now her day too is incomplete without knowing about him.  Such is
the life of addicted Willie-watchers.

Tommy and Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County