[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 97

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 06:25:41 -0600

The temperature is in the low 20's this morning on the plateau, so
Willie followed his initial visit to the feeder at 5:54 with five more
trips in the first twelve minutes - the last three being sitting and
sipping for at least fifteen seconds.  It must be taking a lot of energy
to combat the cold and to make those new feathers pop out as he molts.

He had to brave snow flurries all day yesterday and spent most of the
day in his cedar bush place in between three to four visits per hour
feedings.  But around 4:00 in the afternoon he must have gotten the
equivalent of human "cabin fever" - I guess for Willie it would be
"cedar bush fever" - because he began sitting in the bare bush to the
left after leaving the feeder.  He continued this behavior until almost
5:45 p.m., so he had almost a twelve hour feeding day.  Being in the
open gave us great views and we could see how extensive the molt has
become on his gorget and head and back.  I hope he doesn't get around
anything reflective and see his image and get frightened because of how
horrible he looks right now. We're so anxious for this period to be over
and to see how spectacular the new Willie will be.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County