[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 92

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:15:07 -0600

I hurried out to put the feeder in place just before six o'clock.  I did
not get it hung properly and it fell to the ground below the lights. I
retrieved it quickly and rehung it. By the time I got inside and closed
the door Willie arrived at the feeder at 6:02 for a "just checking"
taste .  Two minutes later he returned for a rather long drink and sat
quietly under the heat light which I turned on because of the colder
temperatures this AM.

I was away from the house for several hours yesterday and did not get to
see as much of Willie as I normally do.  I noticed as I passed the
nursery about a quarter of a mile from our house that they have a very
large supply of new shrubs and plants .  Many of them had blossoms and
this could explain why Willie has been coming into the feeder from that
direction for the past couple of weeks.  It is possible he has expanded
his menu by visiting the nursery.  God certainly has provided everything
he has needed to survive the winter here.  Why am I not surprised  ?

An email from our fifteen year old granddaughter who lives in Ohio asked
how  our little hummingbird was getting along.  She got to see him at
Christmas. Willie has lots of fans scattered around the area and he is
grateful for all of them.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN.
DeKalb County