[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 81

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:51:58 -0600

This morning was a continuation of the unusual behavior for Willie as he
came to the feeder at 6:20 a.m., took a quick drink at the back port,
then moved to the right port to sit and drink deeply for about 30
seconds.  In 10 minutes he returned to feed for over a minute.  He
followed the same pattern for eleven hours yesterday as on each visit he
sat and drank and drank.  If he doesn't leave soon he's not going to be
able fly because he is getting so plump.  We may have to send him back
West on Southwest Airline.  Is there such a thing as diet sugar water
for hummers?

The bonus in his feeding habit change is getting to see him at length so
many times.  I've seen him at least 1,000 times in these 81 days and
each time he appears my heart rate increases because of his beauty.
Reminds me of Valentine's Days as a teenager when the sight of a certain
girl caused the same reaction.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County