[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 77

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:52:20 -0600

We had a dusting of snow last night and the temperature this morning is
below freezing, but nothing deters Willie from his breakfast.  He zipped
into the heat lamp light at 6:21 a.m. to check if the sugar water was
still there, returned for a quick sip, then on his third trip sat in the
warmth and drank for over 25 seconds.  I wish we had equipment for
getting some usable photos of him sitting in that circle of light
surrounded by absolute blackness - how gorgeous he is as his feathers
seem almost to glow.

He must have gotten "cedar fever" from sitting in the bush for so many
days and decided to come out and sit on the wrought iron butterfly
yesterday.  It was an overcast and rainy day but Willie didn't seem to
mind as he sat there in the mist and just looked around.  He ate on a
regular schedule and continued until 5:00 p.m. when it was already dark
again except for the feeder light.  We wonder if  he thinks the sun
rises early and sets late in Tennessee and is only about 5 inches in
width.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County