[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 73

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 06:32:42 -0600

Willie wakes up earlier every day now it seems.  This morning he zoomed
into the heat lamp light at 6:16 a.m. even though it was still absolute
darkness in the yard.  He's returned four times in the five minutes
since that initial visit and has been sitting and drinking on each
visit, which is unusual for him this early in the morning.  Maybe he
didn't get enough sugar water yesterday as that immature Sharp-shinned
Hawk gave all of us a scare.  Virginia was out in the yard picking up
road trash when the Sharp-shinned exploded into the feeders and tried to
catch a Goldfinch, which went under the deck to try to escape.  The hawk
pursued it under there - which is right by the cedar bush where Willie
sits - and came out with a bird in his claw.  She was almost certain it
was the Goldfinch but we didn't breathe easy until Willie appeared at
the feeder a half-hour later and he seemed nervous all day.

We plan to leave for Minnesota tomorrow morning before Willie's
getting-up time, so there will be no reports until we return in a week
or so.  I have the heat/spot lights on a timer and our neighbor will be
checking the feeder and changing the sugar water.  We're still
apprehensive about leaving him, but will trust him into the hands of the
One who said He sees and cares for every bird.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County