[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 59

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 07:00:18 -0600

Willie had a stressful day on Saturday as all the yard birds were
frantically feeding when the snow began to fall.  The Cardinals,
White-throats, Titmouses, Chickadees, Juncos, and Towhees kept hiding
from the wind in the two bushes near the sugar water feeder where Willie
normally sits.  This caused him to be moving around almost all the
afternoon and he left several times.  But when the yard birds finally
dispersed, Willie stayed and kept coming to the feeder until 4:30 p.m.
and getting long drinks.  We had to tie down the feeder as the wind was
as strong as I've ever seen it here and even then it blew the sugar
water right out of the feeder and we had to refill it.

But he survived and began coming to the feeder this morning at 6:25 a.m.
even though it was still dark outside.  With the temperature being in
the mid-teens, he probably had to have some energy no matter how risky
it was to be in the light at that time of the morning.  So far he has
made six trips to the feeder and he has not set his feet down as he
drank.  I guess he remembers that other cold morning when he stuck to
the wrought iron and is not sure if that will happen on the plastic
feeder on such a frigid day.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County