[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 57

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 06:00:14 -0600

With the milder temperatures yesterday and last night, Willie is coming
at a leisurely pace this morning.  He ate until 4:30 p.m. yesterday
afternoon and provided outstanding views of his back and wings as he sat
on the feeder port that faces our kitchen door. He's getting quite a bit
of green on his head now and just a smudge of it between his wings.

This morning he came to check the feeder at 6:31 a.m. and only returned
for two more quick sips in the first 5 minutes, so he obviously is not
extremely hungry like on really cold days.  We also put out fresh sugar
water with a 3 to 1 mixture this morning because of the much colder
weather predicted for this weekend.  We think this "super" formula gives
him a little more zip than "regular" 4 to 1 when he needs more energy so
we've been adjusting the mixture like this all the time he's been with
us and he seems to like it.

A birder from Knoxville is coming this morning to see him and you are
invited this weekend also.  Willie in the sunshine is beautiful, but
Willie in the snow is spectacular.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County