[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 102

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 06:33:54 -0600

Willie is acting "weird" this morning.  He came into the light at 5:54
to see if the sugar water was there, then returned for two more quick
visits before sitting and drinking for about 15 seconds on his fourth
visit.  Then he disappeared for 10 minutes, which is abnormal for his
early morning feedings, and when he returned he kept stretching his neck
and looking around as if he was afraid.  It's probably just residual
effects from yesterday when he was bothered all day by the yard birds.
We had an invasion of Common Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds,
Brown-headed Cowbirds, and European Starlings.  These hordes took over
our backyard feeders and drove our regular yard birds back to the side
of the house where Willie sits and feeds to scratch frantically for
weeks old leftovers.  So all day he was harassed by birds in his bush
and birds scaring him as he sat on the feeder.  We felt pity for Willie
and the yard birds but there was little we could do as our repeated
attempts to scare off the invaders from the back feeders were only
momentary victories.  Maybe the weather front coming through this
morning will cause them to move on and our yard can return to normal.
What a mess a single person can create when he decides to bring birds
here from Europe when God created oceans to keep that from happening.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County