[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummer

  • From: Robbie Hassler <drhass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:26:35 -0500

In the last week of Sept. while I still had a few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, I
began noticing a hummer that was a bit different in looks and actions.
Belligerent and defensive is a mild description.  By the second week in Oct, I
knew it was of the Selasphorous sp.and got in touch with Chris Sloan to see if
he as interested in banding it. He came on his first available date, 10-22-05.
  After getting his equipment set up, Chris came inside with the string to the
trap door in his hand and within 15 minutes the hummer came right in to the
feeder and was trapped.  What followed was an experience I had wanted for
years.  I watched closely as he slipped the bird in the toe of nylon hose and
handled it with the ease of a professional.  After weighing, measuring,
examining feathers, checking for fat, spreading the tail to show the pattern of
rufous and black, he placed the band around what must be the shortest leg in
the bird world.  He found the feathers very badly worn, barely showing the
white tips of the tail feathers.
  After putting all the statistics together Chris determined it to be an adult
female Rufous Hummingbird!
So what I had been calling a he---was a she. Photos were taken of the bird
throughout the exam and finally, Chris placed it in my outstretched hand where
it remained completely still until he touched my fingertips and it zoomed off.
But within a short time she was back at the feeder and has been back every day
since.
   No one knows the emotions I felt unless they have had the same experience.
Nice things happen to me.
Robbie Hassler
Byrdstown, TN
Pickett County