[TN-Bird] Ruffed Grouse at Radnor Lake, Nashville

  • From: JanKShaw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:18:14 EDT

I tried to forward Susan Ford's email to me about the Ruffed Grouse at Radnor
Lake, but it looks like it didn't go through.  So I'll copy it and try again.

Jan Shaw
Nashville, TN

We had what must have been a Ruffed Grouse at Radnor Lake on Sunday, 5/18. We
heard it take off like a helicopter behind us, and turned around to see it's
large, fanned tail disappear. It was not large enough to be a Turkey, so
Grouse is what it must have been. We were on the trail in the area that one
looks for the Connecticut Warbler, not in sight of, but shortly before the
long bridge. We got on the trail at 6am, and had been moving very slowly and
quietly for some time. I would guess it was 6:30-7am. At the time I did not
realize that grouse had not been spotted there before. We did not see the
warbler.

Glad you reminded me to post this, I don't often post.

Susan Ford
Cookeville, TN