[TN-Bird] Ruffed Grouse Decline

  • From: "Ken Hale" <khale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:17:12 -0500

Several factors may enter into the grouse equation. Recall that in the 1910's
and 20's, much of our local forest habitat was harvested, resulting in new
growth forests.  New growth is prime for grouse, and less prime for turkeys.
Turkeys were over harvested and nearly non-existent in East Tennessee and
Southwest Virginia.

I have long argued that turkeys in the forest are the equilavent of a vaccum
cleaner, eating anything with value in sight, including berries, bugs, nuts,
salamanders, centipedes and the like.  Many of these items support grouse as
well.

Realize that the forest has a limited carrying capacity, and is dependent in
part, on the type of forest and production of mast each year by the forest.
Some years are obviously better than others.  In a good year, 10 acres of
woodlands might support 200 white footed-mice, mice, or 50 gray squirrels, or 5
grouse, or 1 turkey or .2 deer, or as is the case, some multiple of the above.
(obviously these aren't real numbers)

We cant have it all in abundance.

My personal opinion is the woodland vaccum cleaners have taken their toll on
the grouse population, as well as other species, simply as a result of lack of
carrying capacity.  This is assuming, of course, that the population has not
been affected by disease.

I think there is a study ongoing on the Clinch Mountain Wildlife Area near
Saltville, Virginia on the issue.  It will be interesting to see the results.

That's my 2 cents worth on the subject, and that's about all it's worth.

Ken Hale
Bristol, Tennessee