[TN-Bird] Ruby-throateds Return

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:31:56 -0500

Alphie, the mature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird who came to our
feeders on April 4, is not happy tonight.  For almost two months he has
permitted no male hummingbird and only one female hummingbird to share
our yard with him.  Several stopped by but he promptly and vigorously
let them know they were not welcome.  But today so many came that he was
overwhelmed and his attacks proved futile as they swarmed our feeders.
We've enjoyed seeing Alphie eating leisurely and sitting on the same
iron butterfly Willie liked so much this winter but are happy now to
have so many other hummingbirds here also.

Our yard was already a busy place with the Downy Woodpeckers, Tufted
Titmouses, White-breasted Nuthatches, American Robins, Blue Jays and
Northern Mockingbirds all feeding begging babies and emptying our peanut
butter log at least twice a day.  The Bluebirds took their young ones
from the nesting box to the woods almost two weeks ago, so they are
missing the excitement.

We've looked several times for warbler nests in DeKalb County and last
week on a road near our house we found two Hooded Warbler nesting sites
with both male and female carrying insects to the babies and one
Kentucky Warbler nesting site with both parents busy feeding young ones
too.  We also found a Prothonotary Warbler going back and forth into an
area beside the lake but could not get close enough to actually see the
nest site.  In all four of these sightings we had the best looks ever at
these gorgeous birds.  Even though we were at least 30 feet away from
one of the Hooded Warbler nest sites, the male became extremely
agitated, began calling, and flew right in front of us then slowly moved
parallel to us while still calling.  We interpreted this as an attempt
to draw us away from the nesting site - has anyone else observed this
kind of behavior with a warbler?

May was a good month for yard birds with 63 species to delight the eyes
and ears.  But we keep looking at that feeder by the kitchen door
wishing Willie would be there.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County