[TN-Bird] Royal Blue and Cove Lake State Park

  • From: Robert Gofreed <rgofreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Bird Blog <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:53:31 -0700 (PDT)

4/17/11
Cross Mountain
Anderson County
I took my 5-year old son out for a day of birding up what I think is Cross
Mountain.  The highlight of the day was watching a pair of Black and White
Warblers that were building a nest.  I never knew they nested on the ground.
 For 45 minutes we observed as they flew of to grab nesting materials and bring
them back to the same perch before dropping down into a hole to add to the
nest.  You can imagine this was a photographers dream, unfortunately I was
shooting straight up a hill into the sunlight which was incredibly challenging
and I didn't want to try and get around to the high-ground because I wanted to
keep my distance so that I didn't stress them out.  The other highlight was
when my son spotted a bird that I thought at first to be another black-throated
green warbler, but which turned out to be a BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER!!  I was
stoked just to see one of these little gems, even though we never got any where
near close enough for a decent pic
 (though I did get a decent diagnostic).  We also observed two larger brown
birds, that to me sounded similar to Gambles Quail and that I think may have
been some sort of cuckoo.  However we never could get a decent enough look to
ID as the chased each other around causing quite a ruckus.  We then headed down
for a brief visit to Cove Lake State Park where the highlight was observing a
pair of Blue Jays building a nest.  Here are the birds we viewed:
Chestnut-sided Warbler x 4 (but heard more)Black-throated Green Warbler x 2
(but heard more)Black and White Warbler x 2Ovenbird x 1 (but heard more)Eastern
Towhee x2Eastern Bluebird x 2Eastern Phoebe x 1Rose-breasted Grosbeak - x1
femaleTurkey Vulture x 5

Canada Geese - x 15Coots - x 25Mallards - x 5Blue Jay x 3
All in all wish I'd gone on the 7 islands field trip, but wasn't sure how the
5-year-old would handle it.
Good Birding Everyone!!
Rob GofreedKnox County
Sorry if the format on this is messed up, it's been a long time since I posted
anything.

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES