[TN-Bird] Rough-legged Hawk still present; Obion Co

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:16:48 -0800 (PST)

11/17/2012
Obion Co; Hwy 45W north of Kenton

The adult female Rough-legged Hawk that Mark Greene found recently was much
more
cooperative for me this morning than on my first try. She was in the same area
she is usually found, and was sitting on a wire at crossarm of a power pole
initially. I eventually eased up right under her and shot thru my open moon
roof, with her paying me no attention whatsoever. I eventually got out and she
still could care less. I spent about an hour with her, with about 300 or so
photos to go thru to show for it. She is extremely confiding of humans, which
hopefully won't be her demise. She made one swoop into the grass along the
highway, which judging by the number or Red-tails lined up in this area must be
some great hunting.

Light was really nice this morning, and this was by far my best encounter with
Rough-leg, anywhere, including up north and out west where they are much more
common. Should have some nice photos to post soon.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx