[TN-Bird] Rough-legged Hawk in Cumberland Co., Feb. 13 apparently a heavily marked light morph female

  • From: "LeGrand Family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:36:07 -0600

TN-Birders,
Jeff Wilson noted that my description of the Rough-legged Hawk on Saturday in
Cumberland County didn't fit the dark morph description. (See his recent note
at the bottom). For anyone else struggling with the variation in Rough-legged
Hawks, I thought I'd include the correspondence. I hope it's not too confusing
to follow.

I thought I'd checked the books carefully, but I agree that both Sibley and
Wheeler & Clark say and show the upper side of the tail is dark on adult dark
phase female Rough-legs. I had struggled over another dark-looking Rough-leg at
the same place last year, though then I had a good look at it perched and saw
that the upper 1/3 of the body (including head) was paler than the lower breast
and belly. I very much appreciated Jeff's response then (his response to my
sighting last year is in boldface below), and his follow-up this year. This
year, I didn't get a good look at it perched (only a distant scope look with
gray sky in the background). I suspect that this was the same individual as
last year, and that it was a rather dark-appearing light morph female as Jeff
reassured me then. From above, Saturday's bird looked like Sibley's light adult
female (all dark with a very distinct white band), but from below it certainly
looked dark, except for the silvery flight feathers. The white on the tail from
below wasn't prominent.

Ed LeGrand
Crossville, Cumberland Co., TN

Attached is Jeff's reply to me last year (including part of my description of
last year's bird):

A dark, heavily marked, intermediate light morph female Rough-legged could have
all of the features you mention. I had one a couple of years ago on the Great
River Road.

Good Birding !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN 38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the heavens.

In a message dated 3/3/2009 10:05:01 P.M. Central Standard Time,
elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  Sibley's (large guide) dark phase juvenile, though it was a bit lighter on
  the chest. In flight it looked most like Sibley's dark adult below, but it
  had much white on the upper tail with a solid black terminal band (similar
  to his light adult female but with more white on the tail--Sibley shows only
  dark upper tails on his dark phase illustrations).