[TN-Bird] Rough-Legged Hawk Not Found at Duck River (Humphreys County)

  • From: Jud Johnston <rivendell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 13:46:49 -0600

The wife and I cruised through the Duck River Unit for 3 1/2 hours yesterday in a vain attempt to relocate the rough-legged hawk that Judy Bumpus photographed there Sunday. Despite encountering said photographer and getting directions to its initial location, the bird did not show for us; or for Judy either. We did flush a large raptor along Pintail Dr., but it used the cover to avoid identification. Otherwise, 2 kestrels, 2 bald eagles, and 4 harriers.

We did see an estimated 430 white-fronted geese, a personal best.

Good birding,

Jud Johnston

Waynesboro