[TN-Bird] Rotary Park

  • From: Cynthia Routledge <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 19:58:33 -0500

Rotary Park
Clarksville, Montgomery Cty
Wed. Oct. 5th  2-4 pm

It was a warm sunny day here in Clarksville and Steve and I decided we'd go
check out Rotary Park to see what migrants we might encounter.
We parked in the lower parking lot and set off down the trail next to the
stream.   At first we found the usual residents...Red-bellied and Downy
Woodpeckers, Carolina Chickadees, No. Cardinals and Tufted Titmice.  As we made
our way towards the raised boardwalk a Winter Wren flew over the path and
perched nicely on a downed tree.  Shortly after that we had a Pileated
Woodpecker calling on the side of the hill, a Towhee, a White-breasted
Nuthatch, 6 Blue Jays, 2 Swainson Thrushes and as many as half dozen Carolina
Wrens singing and scolding.  About half way back we found 4 Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks and an Indigo Bunting along the creek.  But the treat of the day came
as we neared the backside of Rotary Park...in and around a small Mulberry Tree
we found 7 Tennessee Warblers, 1 lovely Nashville Warbler, 5 Magnolia Warblers,
3 Black-throated Green Warblers, 1 first year Bay-breasted Warbler and a Black
and White Warbler...all feeding on bugs that had sought the warmth of the late
afternoon sun on the leaves of the tree.
We may just have to check it out again tomorrow!

<")
  ( \
  / |`  Cyndi and Steve Routledge
"When one tugs at a single thing in Nature,
he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
~John Muir